March 12, 2018
Minutes for Monthly Meeting:PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRATS OF BUNCOMBE COUNTY (PDOB)
Call to order: 6:31 PM
- Kris Kramer, President, welcomes attendees and encourages new participants to visit PDOB website.
- Moment of Silence.
- Candidates running for offices other than County Commission, stood and identified
themselves and office running for.
- Attendees asked to check our agenda for upcoming events.
- Larry Dodson, VP, stated PDOB currently has 80 members and over 225 email addresses.
- Secretary position is open and will be voted on in May. Lyda Karrh is interim Secretary.
- Business cards and banner have been made for PDOB’s upcoming events.
- Anyone interested in volunteering on the Communication Committee, contact Mike Dowling
Communications Committee Chair or Robert Kline Co-Chair.
- Candidate spreadsheet available with contact information, office running for etc.
- Welcome letters sent to all Democratic candidates.
- PDOB formulated questions for candidates’ presentation tonight.
- Need help on fundraising committee. Roseann Iaccovazzi is Interim Chair.
- PDOB would like to make bumper stickers and sell them. Please submit suggestions for
bumper sticker slogan to Roseanne Iaccovazzi.
- Richard Spivack is networking with other organizations in area. Contact him for how to help
with this effort.
- Kris Kramer suggested to attendees that they consider volunteering for candidates’ campaign.
- The following questions were asked of all candidates. Each had seven minutes to speak
followed by Q&A from audience: 1) what are the top issues facing education 2) how would you see economic development working in balance with growth and aesthetic beauty of our environment. 3) how would you address affordable housing 4) what is most important to you as Buncombe County Commissioner
District 3 Buncombe County Commissioner (contesting Robert Pressley Republican): Catori Swann, Taylon Breeden, Donna Ensley.
District 2 Buncombe County Commissioner (running against Glenda Weinert Republican): Nancy Nehls Nelson, Dereck Lindsey, Amanda Edwards, Patrick Fitzsimmons. Incumbent, Ellen Frost is not running in 2018.
District 1 Buncombe County Commissioner: Al Whitesides (current commissioner of district 1).
Q&A from participants. Each candidate answered the following questions posed by meeting attendees. Robert Kline, Candidate Connection Co-chair, read questions to candidates.
1) Public Transportation please discuss. 2) Buncombe county not empowered to tax tourist
occupancy. How would you work to change that in order to fund programs? 3) In primary election should elected democratic officials endorse a specific candidate?
Adjourned: 8:02 PM